Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

So, I haven't posted anything in the last month...because I had started to date someone new and it was actually going really well. We had a very amusing meet-cute involving a bee landing on my chest and him gallantly brushing it away before realizing what exactly he was brushing. From there, the chemistry flowed and everything was big smiles and fireworks...literally...best fourth of July date ever. Things moved quickly, but not because of me...he always wanted to come over after work, stay the night, and talk the next day. It was great, and maybe a little fast, which I pointed out once or twice, but overall, just enjoyable.

Then last week, he suddenly got distant, and last night? The "thanks, but..." text message. That's right, I was dumped via text message...very classy and personal:)

I heard my phone buzz shortly after getting home from work, and saw that it was him. Then I saw the first line...Hi Jen...Immediately, my heart sank, because, let's face it, when the guy you're dating starts by addressing you by name in a text message...oddly formal for such an inform mode of communication...that's never good.

"I think you're a really great person." Just what every girl wants to hear. Somehow, in a weeks time, I went from being a great girl who he misses if he doesn't see in a day or two and who he wants to spend tons of time with, to a really great person. Kiss of death.

"But I don't think we will work out and i don't want you to waste your time with me."

Seems perfectly reasonable, if things hadn't been so hot and heavy on his side up until that point.

I asked, for my own piece of mind, what happened, and was basically told that our expectations are different...mine are apparently high and his are...something else...Didn't really get a good explanation there, and I wasn't going to belabor the point...so there it is.

Now, I know that this time I did not push things, expect things, plan for things, ask for things, or talk about things in any way that would put too much pressure on someone. Maybe I should be less available, more aloof, more bitchy, demanding, difficult, or hard to get, but the truth is, that though it would be easier to turn off emotion and pretend I just don't care, I have no stomach for games. I never have and as much I'd like to think i could, I won't.

So, instead, I will keep on keeping on, adding each and every ridiculous chapter to my dating saga until I finally meet a keeper, or become the crazy cat lady and die an old maid.

Someone, please just be sure to play Another One Bites the Dust at my funeral...and remember to feed the cats.

2 comments:

  1. your sense of humor rocks. keep on keeping on. the dude abides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you still keep the situation light even if it's something sad. :)

    ReplyDelete